Saturday, 13 September 2008

Palin signed off policy to charge rape victims for test kits, another smear?

This is one helluva shocker. It seems that Sarah Palin signed off on a policy to charge rape victims' insurance companies for the cost of 'rape kits' which it is believed include emergency contraception - something generally opposed by anti-abortionists such as Palin.

Hat tip: Harry's Place

Update: This repulsive practice is not a one off to Alaska, it's also occurred in North Carolina. Some of the commenter's at Harry's Place are claiming it as another smear, as it's not just happened under Palin as a Republican, but in other states under Democrats too.

Palin did however say the only case abortion would be acceptable, including her own daughter, would be if her life was at stake. So if her daughter were raped, she would still oppose abortion. This thinking really is backwards. Overturning Roe v Wade would be a very bad idea indeed.

The rest of her doesn’t seem so bad. I don’t mind so much that she wants creationism to be taught in schools. She hasn’t actually said she’s a creationist herself. It’s not the end of the world if it’s taught in schools. Kids aren’t stupid. They’ll likely to believe what their parents believe, and argue that case at school. My 2 pence

4 comments:

Tu S.Tin said...

I stopped watching ... none of it matters. It is the issues really, and right now I am not counting abortion at the top of my concerns - though what they have actually said is to let states decide individually as opposed to a federal law. something interesting I read once was that Alaska had the highest % of rape per capita .. I am not against abortion at all!! and would never tell anyone what to do or judge them, but maybe something does need to change sooner or later... not every change is bad you know. I wouldn't worry till the states started making their own laws, only then could you decide and argue.
I don't see her as all bad either ... as VP she may even do well... but as a president? right now I'm not so sure I am willing to just give someone a chance...
she has also said she would like creationism taught along side evolution ... not just on it's own. If that was done in a non religious philosophical way, I would be the first person to stand up in support! Can't tell you how much I would love the idea really!!!! really really really!!! really!!
Bring in Spinoza, kabbalah , etc etc etc! an approach like that could actually change the whole world one day! though I don't think thats how it would go just yet....
any way I put a side everything I have seen and heard and just looked at their web sites .. I still pick Obama

Renegade Eye said...

Intelligent design is the lipstick of the creationist pig. No matter how it's dressed, it's bringing religion into the public classroom.

Letters From A Tory said...

Palin is such a joke. She has already been caught lying about her foreign policy experience.

marvin said...

Caught lying? A politician? You're joking? Actually caught out? Ok that is pretty bad.

Both Hillary and Obama have told porkies and they have been pointed out too.

Still, let's hope Obamessiah wins.

We don't done wants a rednex at the helm y'all.